Flood Insurance

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is offered through FEMA to ensure that people who own homes or businesses, as well as those who rent, are able to recoup some of the losses incurred in a flood event. It is an essential element for anyone interested in a robust insurance plan for a home or business.

What You Need to Know about Insurance for Floods

Many people assume that flood coverage is included in their home or business insurance. This is not the case in most situations. However, homes and businesses in some areas are required to purchase flood insurance, on the structure of the building at the very least, if there is a mortgage or lien on the structure.

30-Day Waiting Period

Most flood policies have a 30-day waiting period. Since the federal government guarantees the flood protection, this is a safeguard built in to protect the program. For homeowners this means that you cannot afford to wait until a flooding event occurs or appears imminent before you purchase the coverage.

Coverage Limits

NFIP offers two types of coverage for homeowners, each with very specific coverage limits. Building property limits cap at $250,000 to repair the structure of the building and $100,000 to replace personal belongings or contents of the building. Each policy is an individual policy. You must have both in order to have complete coverage as a homeowner. Renters, on the other hand, only need flood coverage for their personal property (furniture, clothing, etc.).


Flood insurance doesn’t cover everything in every home. For instance, basement improvements in the home, such as walls, flooring, etc., is not covered by NFIP protection. The same holds true for personal items being stored in the basement.

Why Do You Need Insurance for Floods in New Jersey?

New Jersey has more coastal real estate than the average citizen realizes. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, New Jersey is home to 1,792 miles of coast making it 15th in the nation for total coastal real estate. People who live in work in coastal areas, need flood insurance protection to help guard against tidal surges resulting from rogue storms, waves, tropical depressions, hurricanes, nor’easters, and more.

Of course, it’s important to understand that you do not need to live in a coastal area in order to be the victim of a flood. They happen all the time far away from rivers, lakes, and oceans. These are just some of the incidents that can lead to flooding both in the interior regions of New Jersey and the shore areas.

  • Construction
  • Deforestation
  • Housing Developments
  • Excessive Rain
  • Snowmelt
  • Earthquakes
  • Landslides
  • Surface Water Runoff
  • Dam Breaks
  • Dam Overflows
  • Levee Breaches

Unfortunately, the list is far from exhaustive. The fact is that floods happen all the time and every home in New Jersey has some degree of risk for flooding.

Why Should You Consider Delsea Insurance for Your Flood Coverage?

Delsea Insurance, located in Glassboro, NJ serves Harrison Township, Washington Township and many other local towns. We have over 60 years of experience meeting the insurance needs of South Jersey residents and are gearing up for the next 60.

We are an independent agency meaning that we can compare prices and vendors to help you get the best policy to meet your needs at a price you can afford.


Our Carriers